Monday, March 20, 2006

Doing what we want - motives and the will of God

Why do we do what we do? Can we ever know for sure given the nature of our hearts? (Jer. 17:9) Hebrews 4 gives me hope on several levels. First God knows even the most hidden parts of me and while that is very frightening, He assures me that Jesus is a sympathetic Shepherd. He understands my dust. He gives mercy and grace when I come to Him. Mercy for my sins and failures - grace to enable me to be what He designs for my life. Second (if that wasn't enough!) He gives me His Word which can do what I can't - disclose the hidden things of my heart and help me discriminate the seemingly indivisible: my thoughts and the intentions of my heart. Finding the will of God for me was sometimes like deciding who has first pick in a sandlot baseball game. Remember? You tossed a bat and then put one grip over the other up the handle of the bat with your opponent until you got to the top. Whoever got there first prevailed. "Should I do this? Maybe its only my flesh ... but it could be the Spirit directing ... might be Satan ... only what I want ... maybe what God wants ... the devil ..." and on up the bat with my opponents in discerning my future. Then the principles of Psalm 25 and 37:4 rescued me. I don't need a bat (or a fleece!) - I have God. Because of His nature and character He leads sinners in the way! I qualify. My task is to humble myself before Him and cease striving in my own efforts and rely on Him to be Himself. Hebrews 4, relates these concepts as entering into God's rest. But here is a paradox and a provision. "Labor to enter rest" The provision: Christ in me (I Cor. 15:10 and Col. 1:29) - I can rely on Christ's life and grace in me to be all I need to be for Him and others. I'm responsible to yield and trust, He will enable me to labor by His power working mightily within me. Hebrews 4 characterizes this as "drawing near." Psalm 37:3-4 calls it: trusting, doing good, cultivating faithfulness, and delighting. And here is the promise: He will give us the desires of our heart. Read that: "Love Jesus and do what ever you want!" No danger - for if we are drawing near, He is transforming us and our desires. What a blessing, to get to the place of wanting to do God's will - no rather, God's will being that which I want to do! How gracious is God! The missionaries I know that are worth their salt, are doing what they want to do. They love what the Savior loves. I once heard a preacher speak eloquently on serving God because we love the Shepherd, not the sheep. After all, sheep are troublesome and can be very dirty and hard to deal with. His premise was right (based on John 21:15-19) and he was correct that the romance of ministry or missions and the adventure of it would not be enough to keep us faithful once the newness wore off. We need a stronger motive. Glorifying God will do. But like most propositions, even those aimed at helping, he didn't go far enough. I see these kind of missionaries too. The "glorifying God duty boys" (and gals). {They forgot the "and enjoy Him forever" part.} Looking like they've been baptized in pickle juice, they press on. "Bless God, we're doing our part for God while enduring these sheep!" They are a lovely bunch, especially to those they are enduring! No, we need missionaries who like the Apostle Paul, have come to both motives: loving the Savior and those the Savior loves. The Glory of God and Compassion for sinners drives them. The sheep for these missionaries have become very dear and they have deep affections for them (I Thes 2). And the sheep can tell.

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Kevin Deitering said...

Well said!

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The data is close to insignificant, whіch meаns
the outcomе makes almost no sense.

Here is my blog post - compshock.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home